Atmosphere, cryosphere and ocean processes, RG5@BCCR

Welcome to the 'running meeting diary'  for our research group, this is a 'simple as possible'
summary of our meetings, and the most recent meeting notes is allways on top.
The official description of our group is on the BCCR web page (Norwegian only now).

Group members (In order of appearance, now 25 in total):
Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Marek Ostrowski,
Elin Darelius,
Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Joachim Reuder,
Henrik Søiland, Henning Wehde,
Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Chuncheng Guo, Algot Peterson, Victoria Miles,
Natalia Ivanova, Einar Olason, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Tobias Wolf, Kjersti Daae, Yongbiao Weng and Timothy Williams.

RG5 and BCCR request that members are active participants. The aim for RG5 is to hold 4 meetings
every spring and autumn semester, and we ask that members attend at least 2 meetings annually.
This will be evaluated each year. 

Associated Members (copied on e-mails): Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, Harald Sodeman, Gudrun Sylte

E-mail list is updated by Beatriz Balino and everyone in the group can send e-mails to all:
A simple budget for the granted travel/publication costs granted is found at the *bottom* of this page.

Next meeting - Tuesday 15. December 10:15 - 12:00, including lunch for those that sign up.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Friday 20. November, 2015. 13:15 - 14:45

, Lars H. Smedsrud, Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Lars Asplin, Victoria Miles,
Natalia Ivanova,
Joachim Reuder, Harald Sodeman, Yongbiao Weng, Timothy Williams and Tobias Wolf.

Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Elin Darelius, Sylvain Bouillon,
Mari Myksvoll, 
Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Kjersti Daae and Einar Olason.

New members: Timothy Williams, Harald Sodeman, and Yongbiao Weng.

Summary of activities during spring by Lars H.

"Fast Track" initiative for December 1:
- Visiting researcher Nikita Kusse-Tyuz (AARI)
- No other initiatives?

RG5 "spending budget":
We have only used 18.000 out of 80.000 available. Money will NOT be transfered to 2017.
New "applications" (e-mail to Igor & Lars H.)  are welcomed before Monday 7. December.

Annual BCCR Geilo meeting 2016:
Henrik Søyland will be the IMR and RG5 representative. Send ideas to him by e-mail.

Activity in 2015 for all, report to Igor by e-mail:
- Talks, Posters, Papers, Visitors, Projects, Proposals,

BCCR discussion: Should BCCR incorporate "Social Science", or should this be done outside BCCR?
- Incorporating "Social Science" could be started as a new RG in "Social Science".
   (This could also be done across the RG's - where there are social scientists in all RG's)
- The "danger" in doing this is perhaps that we "destroy" the good name of the BCCR?
- No strong feelings in RG5, but we would all like to keep the strong "Bjerknes Brand".
- Further discussion is needed, a good point for the Annual Geilo meeting, but people are somewhat positive too.
- RG5 researchers are already involved in several projects that has a "social dimension", so this activity is already taking place

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 9. June, 2015. 11:15 - 12:30
Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, Einar Olason, Paul Hezel, Joachim Reuder and Tobias Wolf.
Absent: Igor Esau, Elin Darelius, Henrik Søiland, Sylvain Bouillon, Mari Myksvoll, Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan,
Valerie Kumer,
Henning Wehde,  Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Lars Asplin and Kjersti Daae.
Welcome, Budget: Short summary of budget that is available for the autumn semester. We should have about 35.000,-
available and you can "apply" with an e-mail with a tentative deadline September 1.
Proposals: Shotrt round of ongoing and recently submitted proporsal. Natalia will send one on lead fraction, for Norwegian Space Centre.
Ilker: SFF on air-sea-interaction at high latitudes, Einar + Pierre: ice modelling for Klimaforsk,
Jochen: Wind energy work,  Isobar application submitted using SUMO to FriPro

Presentation by Tobias Wolf:  Tobias is a PhD in a small project to study pollution in Bergen related to large scale atmospheric circulation.
Supervised by Igor and Jochen. Days of high pollution occur during winter. Proxy from 10 m wind, 2 m SAT, and clouds applied on ERA-Interim data.
Very high pollution values during winter 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. High resolution model (5m*5m*5m, Large Eddy Simulation, LES)
with high resolution topography in the Bergen Valley.  A challenge to simulate the inversion.  

Upcoming presentations: Algot and Marek : Talk about what they work on.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 21. April, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00
Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Richard Davy,
Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, Mari Myksvoll, Einar Olason, Paul Hezel, 

Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Chuncheng Guo,
  Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Joachim Reuder, Mostafa B. Paskyabi,
Lars Asplin,
  Mehmet Ilicak, Tobias Wolf and Kjersti Daae.

Evaluation of "active membership": November 2013 - March 2015 (7 meetings)
To impose the new "active requirement" gradually, attendance was evaluated for these
7 last meetings, and those that were present at less than two meetings were requested
to confirm their onwards active participation. These where: Henning, Marek, Ricard, Einar and Peter.
Some new members have also attended less than two meetings, but these will have all of 2015
to get up to speed.  A new evaluation will be done spring 2016. As it stands now
Henning, Marek and Peter are regarded as "not active".

Lars H: Fram Strait sea ice area export and the September sea ice cover.
Summary of previous results on ice export, and new values onwards from 2011.
Export is still high (>1000.000 km^2 annualy), and spring export correlates with
the follwoing September cover. But this is hard "to prove". Ongoing work,
and a "proper" study with 3D model runs that shows an increasing ece export would be best.

Einar: nextSIM model - remeshing and thermodynamical evolution
Role of leads in air-ice-ocean interaction. Towards seasonal simulations.
Larger heat fluxes due to larger areas of open water compared to Topaz system.
Plans for adding more processes that simulates the summer fully, and get the model
in shape for being the sea-ice model of the NorESM in the future (no firm plans yet).

Short summary of the new "Polar Science Network" hosted by the University.
More information about that here:

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 24. March, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00

Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Chuncheng Guo, Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, 
Mari Myksvoll, Joachim Reuder,  and Mostafa B. Paskyabi,

Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davy, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde,
Lars Asplin, 
Einar Olason, Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, Tobias Wolf and Kjersti Daae

Victoria:  Variability of marine-terminating outlet glaciers on Greenland.
Relevant for the ice2ice project and the Margins SKD project. She is also involved in a new Belmont Forum
project wih Igor on urban heat islands in the Arctic.

Ilker: CHASI ( Centre for High Latitude Air Sea Intercation)
5 page proposal in November then 15 pages ERC-style in stage 2.

-    Natalia to give Ilke contact to Anton Korosov
-    Idea of Fish farming forced by wave energy to bring in IMR not relevant because it is that has such experience.
-    Pierre et al. to bring some contributions to it

Natalia: Lead-project from RG5, 800.000,- granted as SKD special project.

RG5 spending money budget:  
We suggest an upper maximum limit of 10.000,- per person per year, and thus expect to be able to
cover 50% of a trip or part of a publication every second year for members. We have 80.000,-
available each year, and about 10.000,- will be used to cover lunch at the meetings.
The running granted travel funding is listed at the *bottom* of this page.
About 35.000 should be reserved for autumn 2015.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 17. February, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00

, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Henrik Søiland,
Chuncheng Guo, Algot Peterson, Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova,
Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, and Tobias Wolf.

Igor Esau, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davy, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Mari Myksvoll,
Lars Asplin,
Joachim Reuder, Einar Olason, Mostafa B. Paskyabi and Kjersti Daae.

- The BCCR membership - benefits and duties!  
   In short members need to use BCCR affiliation, BCCR logo's, and be active at meetings and in proposal writing.
   People that are not active will be contacted, and taken off the member list, and can return at a later stage if they will be active.

- Bjerknes publications : Send the PDF to  RG5 leader and when it is ACCEPTED.
The Bjerknes secretariat will add this to Cristin - no points lost to own institution.
All RG5 publications that describe climate processes and have one BCCR author is a Bjerknes publication.
The detailed instructions can be found in this PDF.

- Natlia gave a nice talk about:
Remote sensing algorithms of thin sea ice (leads), new ways to estimate this better,
passive microwave problems related to melt ponds that look like open ocean water, and retrieval of snow depth.
Link to PDF of the presentation here.

- Lunch 

- RG5 suggestion to BCCR for "extra money" - deadline 20. February
  We discussed a few options. Gliders, new profiling floats that measure current share, and the
  other suggestions we knew exist from other groups.  In the end we would like to do something on high
resolution (time and space) modelling of the ocean-ice coupling (tides).  This is not "a low hanging fruit"
but a good option for future cooperation. Working up a new data set on leads (thin ice) based on AMSR
from 2002 - 2014 might be the best thing we can do. Still discussing this at time of writing....

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 2. December, 2014. 09:15 - 12:00

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Henrik Søiland, Einar Olason, Chuncheng Guo, Valerie Kumer, 
Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Natalia Ivanova, Victoria Miles, Lars Asplin, Elin Darelius, Paul Hezel,

Not present: 
Ilker Fer, Jon Bergh, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan,
Joachim Reuder, Henning Wehde, Mari Myksvoll

1) Administrative issues:

Travel/publishing applications: Mehmet (8000,-) and Lars H. (4500,-) granted, the rest of the money transferred to next year.

2) Geilo Meeting. (Lars A. and Elin are also coming altough they are not on the list)
An "interview" of the RG leaders on a broad topic, and two highlights from RG5: Richard and Elin. 10 min each including questions.
Main questions: "Parametrizations and better resolution of models". "What is a good model?"
Bring up RG5 work themes: Ice shelves, Internal waves, Lagrangian ice model, Grease ice, atmospheric entrainment, Fast ice, Whales,
Spagetthi plots, Glacier fronts?

3) Summary from the Leader Group meeting last week, Changes in RG leaders, Bjerknes visitor projects.
    Also the objectivity in the decision making around the internal projects.

4) FTI proposals from RG5:   Victoria (Urban effect on vegetation, 200.000) Elin (Melting Radar for Getz Iceshelf, 160.000),
     Elin (Seasonality of shelf waves, 200.000), Einar (Fast ice model, 200.000),  
     Tor Eldevik and Lars H. (Seasonality of Arctic sea ice, 200.000)

5) Bjerknes visitor appliactions (suggest changing it to applications for 1. december for full year of 2015)
     For June appliactions from following Augist to next June.

6)  Scientififc talk by Igor "Process - Parameterization - Model"
      How can we make our process understanding valuable for the larger models?
      There are many constrains, like lack of "physical parameters (Eddy viscosity)" for proper evaluation.
      Also aspects with computer run-time and adding a large number of subroutines.  
      Double parametrization due to increased resolution.
      When the model starts to resolve the physical phenomena the parametrization should change radically.
      Entrainment in atmopshere has a very large effect on global climare - basically an unknow and unmeasurable parameter.
      This, autoconversion (producing precipitaion) and critical humidity togeather produces ~60% of climate variability.
      Single Column Model (SCM) approach to study processes, this will happen in the internal project BASIC.

Link to PDF of Igors presentation here


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 7. November, 2014. 09:15 - 12:00

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Ilker Fer, Jon Bergh, Chuncheng Guo,  Mehmet Ilicak, Mostafa B. Paskyabi
Arrived late: Gudrun Sylte, Pierre Rampal, 

Not present: Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Joachim Reuder,
Henning Wehde,  Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Valerie Kumer, Elin Darelius

1) Presenting new RG5 members

2) Info drift funding from BCCR to RG5, 40kNOK 2014 and 80kNOK 2015, still money to be used in 2014.
For money, apply to leaders following common regulation. Only part funding for travels.
Applications that involve publications where more than one institution is represented will be priritized.

Discussion of Bjerkness affiliation papers etc.

Bjerknes is a voluntary “membership”, but projects that are climate research projects and involve more than
one BCCR institution shall be presented using the BCCR loge etc. People may use their own or the BCCR logo
if they present other projects, or give general talks. 

“Rules”: apply twice a year, before each ½ year, groups leaders decide, ca 1/3 page describe conference or paper and Bjerknes collaboration.

3) Bjerknes GetAway 12-14 Jan. Igor send out invitation, limited space.
When apply send e-mail to Igor as well.
Research highlights at the GetAway, suggestions: 1) Chuncheng, 2) Elin D., 3) Ilker F., 4) Tobias W, not in order.

4)  Projects and proposal
Fast Track Iniitiativ spring 2015. Ilker suggest Chuncheng ca 150 kNOK, Igor suggest Victoria ca ?,

Ongoing Projects:
Basic 2015-2017 – likely to be founded, decision 23 Dec.
Lance Drift, Lars Hendrik S. presenting ppt
Polarforskningsnettverket UiB and later other institutes in Bergen, IMR, Nansen, UniRes, etc will be invited.

PEEX project, Igor, Network of experiments, today mainly land few ocean.  Involvement from Russia, China, EU, Norway, Finland etc. NERSC is member.

5)     Research
Activity Ilker, Projects:Faroe Bank Channel Overflow Dynamics and Mixing,
On Thin Ice, Antarctic ice shelves and ocean climate
Field work: NICE cruice Yermak Plateau Sep 2014, Hovercraft drift , IMR cruice Sep 2014

Igor: Air quality hazards under present and future climate conditions in Bergen, Tobias W. and Igor E.
Urban Climate 2014.

6) New meeting in beginning of December.


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 18. June, 2014. 13:00 - 14:10

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Ilker Fer, Valerie Kumer, Elin Darelius,

Not present:  Pierre Rampal, Jon Bergh, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Joachim Reuder,
Henning Wehde,
Chuncheng Guo, Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, 

New member: Algot Peterson.

1) Bjerknes Centre klimadag (October 1.2014) We need  one representative from RG5.
Valerie Kumer would like to participate here.

2) Status of the SKD pre-proposals (final information summary)
8 proposals are selected for the onwards process in writing internal projects.
BASIC will go forward, with some elements from GRADIENTS and I-CRYON.
(The I-CRYON project has stated that they will not like to join in further).

3) Research briefs/achievements and presentations/publications/conferences
- Esau (2014) has new results on size of ocean convection and related size of
  atmospheric convection. Size of domain is 3*3 km, 15 m horizontal delta x.
- Smedsrud: Onarheim et al (2014) shows loss of sea ice during winter north of Svalbard.
- Kumer just submitted a LIDAR paper, and is planning a new campaign in the Netherland
- Fer: Wind energy and waves, Damocles review paper, and a few other things
- Darelius: Submitted paper on Filchner Depression circulation with people at BAS.

4) Approaching new calls with deadline in September 3. 2014
Eco-systems and processes will be prioritized.
We also agree to submit a project "similar" to the BASIC proposal.
Project will be extended, and based on som previous good projects that were not funded.

5) The day of the first fall meeting of RG5 (to be settled well in advance)
We will send out a reminder, and have a meeting in september.
Deadline is before summer on the doodle above.


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 6. February, 2014. 10:00 - 12:00
Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius,  Pierre Rampal, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,  Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, 

Not present: Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Joachim Reuder, Henning Wehde, Chuncheng Guo,

Most of the meeting we discussed the new internal BCCR (SKD) projects.
Projects start 1. January 2015 and end December 2017.
Proposal due mid March. People in RG5 is to distribute their 1 page idea to all others before March 1.

Criteria: 2-2.5 MNOK/year, partial funding only (should have >50% inkind), within strategic areas of BCCR,
Should be integrated between RG's and Uni, IMR, NERSC and UiB (at least 3 parters, best with all four). No new people will get funding/salary.

The pre-proposal should be 1 page. Assesment will be either 1,2,3;
1) Outside the research area of BCCR
2) Merge with other proposals
3) Write "proper" longer proposal after invitation from the BCCR leader group.
List of suggestions from RG5 people:

A) Marginal Ice Zone processes in heterogenous fields (Esau, Davy, others?). Barents Kara Seas, process models, atmospheric fluxes, not NorESM.

B) Greenland Ice Shelf melting project with ROMS (Asplin, Myksvoll, ) ROMS high resolution model simulations, continuation of SeaLev, NorESM link, link to Elins Antarctic project.  

C) I-KRYON (Ilicak, Rampal, Spengler). Cryospheric coupling in NorESM. Both new NERSC sea ice model into NorESM, and explore ice shelf component. Ocean and Atmosphere flux parametrization. 

D) Processes (Fer, Bentsen, Smedsrud) Ocean mixing, brine rejection, downflow, Ice-Ocean interaction project (Algot Petterson GFI), boundary layer processes, internal waves, etc.

E) Greenland freshwater effects on GIN Seas (Våge, Søiland, Reuder, Jeansson). Effects on pelagic ecosystem, pathways into Nordic Seas, cold freshwater insuation. 

F) Arctic Drift project with RV Lance spring 2015 (Smedsrud, Fer, Petterson, Reuder). Surface fluxes, sub ice fluxes, AW heat mixing, sea ice thickness. 

Probably A+D+F will merge into one. Our RG then "supports" 4 proposals B), C) E) and A+D+F).

Finally we had a discussion of future development of NorESM versus other models.

Homework 1) Describe your different models and related prcesses that is resolved in a good way. Igor will send out a template.

Homework 2) Try to demonstrate how your "process" is important for the large scale climate


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 20. November, 2013. 09:00 - 11:45
Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Marek Ostrowski, Elin Darelius, Richard Davey, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, and Jon Bergh .
Not present: Ilker Fer, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Joachim Reuder, Henrik Søiland, and Henning Wehde.

New members after this meeting: Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Chuncheng Guo,


Igor Esau (NERSC): Research director G. C. Rieber institute. Surface turbulence in polar regions. These are very heterogeneous and variable. Working on parameterizations for  large scale models. Example from Kara sea, with lead fractions, and cloud streaks.

Lars H. Smedsrud (GFI,UiB): Associate Professor. Field work, lab work, and process modelling in Polar Oceanography. Example on grease ice parametrization motivated by field work in the Storfjorden Polynya on Svalbard.

Marek Ostrowski (IMR): Tropical Upwelling and Bilogical production. Angola, Peru and an example from Jan Mayen. New EU project PREFACE (2014-2018) air-sea interaction east of Africa around the equator.

Elin Darelius (GFI,UiB): Post Doc. Working on dense overflows in the Faroe Channel, and the Weddell Sea. Moorings and CTD sections. Regional models in cooperation at Akvaplan-NIVA (Tromsø). Norklima project 50 % (2014-2015).

Richard Davey (NERSC): Planetary Boundary Layer change with climate change. Global Models. Historical runs. Shallow layers are least understood. Models treat the boundary layers differently. Apply this to the Arctic in future studies.

Pierre Rampal & Sylvain Bouillon (NERSC): Post Doc. Arctic Sea Ice modelling. Retreating, Thinning, Accelerating, Warming. Classical albedo feedback + deformation/acceleration feedback. Improve the NERSC sea ice model. Evaluate and Intialize with remotely sensed data. New rheology.  Impact for CO2 exchange, Biology, etc.

Jon Bergh (NERSC): Ocean modelling with sea ice. Under-ice Norklima project (2014 – 2016). Internal waves, eddies, double diffusion, sea ice motion. Parameterization. Ice mask  for mixing schemes needed, because “standard” values are generally not defined under sea ice.


Henrik Søyland: Physical Oceanograper (IMR). Data processing, Lofoten Basin, Iceland Sea, East Iceland Current,  hydrography, ADCP data and RAFOS floats. Cooperation with WHOI.

Approach other people that “naturally” belong here; Mari Myksvoll & Lars Asplin (ROMS & Ice shelves, IMR), Mehmet Illicak (NorESM, Uni), others ?

Practically no funding is available internally.
Quite a large group that has common interest in the Marginal Ice Zone (Leads, waves, turbulent boundary layer, brine release, ice formation). Response of the atmosphere to these large changes in heat flux from below. We discussed a possible common paper, but reached no clear conclusion. People are very busy working with the funded projects.
SKD has some money for new projects, and RG’s have been asked to apply. NFR has a polar call in spring 2014 as well.
Required: All BCCR partners, climate dynamics, 50% of funding is available. Applications in April 2014, running (2015-2018)
What drives the Barents Sea temperature variance maximum in CMIP5 models is one idea.
ALL: TO DO: Come up with good ideas for a SKD research project.  
BCCR Getaway (Geilo 13.-15. January, 2014):
Members of the group are adviced to attend, as long as they plan to be active in the group, and ccoperate with other BCCR researchers in the future. The BCCR will over the next year merge with SKD, so the “Bjerknes Centre” name should be used as our “trademark” in all outreach and internationally. Projects that are working on “climate research” and have two or more of the BCCR partners has to be “Bjerknes Projects” and help cover the salary for the BCCR “outreach” person.

RG5 Group budget onwards from january 2015 (We have about 70.000,- available annually)
Total sum granted is now  34.500:

8000,-  December 2014, Mehmet, AGU meeting, (less than 50% of total cost)
6000,- January 2015, Lars H. ECRA General assembly, Brussels, (100% of travel cost, Coordinating Chair of Arctic ECRA)
6000,- March 2015, Chuncheng, EGU meeting, for travel, conference and stay granted (50% of total).
6000,-  March 2015, Elin, Submission fee, Ocean Science
(“On the modulation of the periodicity of the Faroe Bank Channel overflow instabilities” by E. Darelius,et al.)
8500,- March 2015, Joachim reuder, visiting researcher, FRIPRO application writing, Zbigniew Sorbjan, Marquette University.