PDF files of publications
Current projects (more details)
1. Phylogenetic systematics of the weevil subfamilies Scolytinae, Platypodinae and Cossoninae (bark and timber beetles)
2. Genetic variation and speciation in ancient inbreding lineages
3. Inferring species boundaries and historical assembly of ecologically similar bark beetle complexes in Scandinavia
4. Molecular identification of Scandinavian bark beetles using on-line DNA-sequence databases
5. Revision of the conifer root beetles of Hylastini (Hylastes, Hylurgops and Scierus)
6. Revision of the Crypturgini
1. Toril L. Moen: Phylogeography of calcareous tube worms invading via fouling and ballast water.
2. Carlos Ruiz, Universidad de Murcia: Phylogenetics and biogeography of Calathus ground beetles - external
3. Hallvard Elven, University of Oslo: Phylogeny of the tribe Athetini Casey, 1910 (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae), based on morphological and molecular characters - external advisor.
MSc thesis project available:
1. Morphological stasis and cryptic speciation in ancient inbreeding beetle lineages.
2. Barcoding of wood boring beetles: statistical and evolutionary pitfalls in current methodology.
3. Application of phylogeographical tools in reconstructing the historical assembly of component communities -
Aphanarthrum bark beetles on Euphorbia plants in the Canary Islands
Anthony Cognato, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Brian Farrell, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, Boston, MA
Andrea Sequeira, Wellesley College, MA
Lawrence Kirkendall, Department of Biology, University of Bergen
Brent Emerson, School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
In the press:
Newsday (N.Y. daily newspaper) article: "Revolution in evolution - Quirks in beetles' inbreeding habits shed light on growth and migration"
Tree of Life:
Beetle tree of life
Consortium for the Barcode of Life (CBOL)
Molecular taxonomy of whales
Barcode of life (Hebert)